Since high blood pressure can result from a number of factors, there’s no one solution or cure for it. However, it has been seen that some natural methods to keep blood pressure in check can actually show long term benefits. We will introduce you to some of the best and most efficient essential oils for high blood pressure. In the end, there will be also some beneficial recipes you can make use of. We have put a lot of efforts into it to provide you only the best-crafted essential oil recipes and information for your health. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
But before you get down to the recipes themselves, let’s take a look at some of the major concerns. In the following, you will find some important facts about the essential oils and what to consider when you are applying them for blood pressure issues.
Why Are Essential Oils Beneficial For Hypertension?
Many essential oils are seen to have a positive impact on the cardiovascular system; they boost circulation and ease the pressure on the walls of the veins. Also, stress is a major contributor to high blood pressure and other cardiovascular issues – and essential oils can go a long way in reducing stress.
How To Use Essential Oils?
There are different ways to use your essential oils
- You can create a blend and apply topically on your heart area, and on the pressure points on the left foot and hand.
- You can also add a blend to your bath water and soak in the benefits of the essentials oils before going to bed.
And now for the most important question…
What is the best essential oil for high blood pressure?
There are quite a few essential oils that work very well for hypertension, some you can use as blends; some can be used directly by themselves. In the following section, you can see a comprehensive list of the best ones, which might have a positive effect.
Ylang Ylang is known as a quite beneficial herb for human health and the well-being. It has different effects on body, mind and soul. Ylang Ylang stimulates the production of important chemical messengers in the body such as endorphin, serotonin and encephalin, which results in a harmonious, soothing and relaxing effect on the human body and soul. Especially the aromatherapy has great applications for this plant.
It is used for:
- Inner Restlessness
- Stress, Tension & Performance Pressure
- Nervous intestinal problems
- Pain relief
Ylang Ylang also is used for erectile dysfunction and sexual aversion. Thus the oil has aphrodisiac effects and is considered helpful in the case of frigidity. In India and Indonesia, Ylang Ylang serves as a love oil. There, it is also common to place the blossoms on the couple’s bed before the wedding night.
However, by taking Ylang Ylang internally, undesirable side effects are possible. The affected persons may suffer from allergic reactions, headaches or nausea. Also, do not use Ylang-Ylang during pregnancy.
Ylang Ylang Study on the Effects of Blood Pressure and Heart Rate
A study published in 2013 about the effects of Ylang-Ylang aroma in 29 healthy men has shown that this plant and especially the inhalation of its aroma greatly decreases the heart rate and blood pressure – systolic as well as the diastolic one. It had also effects on the arousal level of men.
Other positive properties of the essential oil are:
- Antibacterial and Antidepressant Effects
- Decrease of Blood Pressure Levels, which is our main focus here
- Soothing effect on a racing heart, hyperventilation, intestinal infections and hypertension.
- Suitable for skin care, since it has a moisturizing effect and helps against dry or oily skin
- Alleviation of menstrual problems for women.
Lavender blossoms and lavender oil have a very similar effect due to their ingredients.
They are used internally
- To help prevent anxiety and nervous exhaustion
- For falling asleep
- Against stomach pain, flatulence or nervous gastrointestinal complaints.
If lavender is used externally, for example as a bath additive or oil, it helps against:
- Circulatory problems like racing heart palpitations and high blood pressure
- Inflammation, bacteria and fungi. Therefore, it can also be used in skin diseases such as acne and for wound treatment.
How to apply Lavender
Other Great Ingredients:
- Lemon Balm (Melissa)
- Valerian Root
- Invigorating Blend
- Calming Blend
Essential Oils To Avoid With High Blood Pressure
According to this source there is no hard evidence, that essential oils and herbs are really doing harm, especially to your blood pressure. They may even be beneficial for it. Still, there are sources out there, which still claim to be careful with them, like the following: Essential Oils To Avoid (Source). So make sure to do your own research to be on the safe side.
List Of Essential Oils & Herbs To Be Cautious About
- Hyssop: Most likely regulates blood pressure. It is mentioned, that it is especially beneficial for people with hypotension. Be careful when you are on the hypertensive side. It improves circulation.
- Romero/Rosemary: Works well for low blood pressure and metabolism because of its high camphor content. Good healthy alternative for coffee. Be careful with high dosages.
- Sage: When used, please check your blood pressure.
- Spanish Sage: Can Increase Blood Pressure. Be careful with hypertension!
- Common Sage (Salvia officinalis): Can lower blood pressure, also for people with hypotension.
- Thyme: Improves energy levels, metabolism, concentration and helps against fatigue when caused by high blood pressure.